Vanha Kilkkilä is a traditional southern savolax farmhouse near the mainroad 5.
Distance to Mikkeli is 27 km , to Juva 15 km, to Savonlinna 75 km and to Helsinki 250 km.
We have a lovely country garden, cafe and contemporary art exhibition to visit in the summertime.
The admission fee to the garden is 5€ for adults, children for free.
Open only in the summertime
wednesday-sunday 10-17 (closed mondays and tuesdays)
There are many prehistoric signs of living until Scandinavian stoneage to middleage in Kappelinpelto area nearby Vanha Kilkkilä. In Kappelinpelto there’s been an orthodoc chappel until 1300-1400.
Finland was part of Swedish kingdom in the 16th century when the King was fighting constantly all over the Europe. The taxes got too heavy and the farmers started a rebellion called Nuijasota (1596-1597). When the King’s men had won the rebellion brutally the souldiers burned down farms and villages as a revenge. It’s a local legend that this was the way Tuhkala village got it’s name – ’burnt to ashes’.
Vanha Kilkkilä has been farmed as early as 1561. The family Kilkki whom the farm got it’s name arrived in 1755. When the last member of Kilkki’s family died at the beginning of the 1980’s the farm was abbandoned. The current owners bought the place in 2000.
As traditionally all the Finnish farm buildings had been located in a circle to keep the cattle safe from wild animals.
The mainhouse is a typical savolax wooden countryhouse made of big logs. It has been mainly the same since 1853.
The other remaining buildings are the big storehouse (aitta) for grain and meet on the left side of the mainhouse, the stable (talli) where horses, carriages and sledges were kept on the right and the old sauna and the small shed (liiteri) for firewoods on the opposite of the mainhouse.
The big cattleshield (navetta), sheds, barns and blacksmith’s shed (paja) no longer exist.
The fields have been organic cultivated for more than 30 years.